
Last night, after reading stories to Hannah...I said, 'OK Hannah, time to pray...' I grabbed her foot (she likes this rather than me grabbing her hands) and began to pray, 'Dear Jesus...' She interrupted, 'Daddy, where is Jesus?' with the utmost curiosity in her voice. Hmmm, how do I respond to this question to my two year old daughter? My first answer was, 'Jesus is everywhere...' Hannah looked confused. 'Jesus is in heaven with his daddy.' Hannah responded, 'Where's heaven?' 'I do not know, where do you think heaven is?' She looked up to the ceiling, 'Up there.' Hmmm, I thought. I don't think that Meghan or I had prompted this beforehand. I explained to Hannah that 'Jesus is always present, he is here, but you can't see him.' She responded, 'He won't hurt me?' 'No, he won't...Jesus is very nice...he's fun to be with.' Hannah asked again, 'Where's Jesus?' I replied, 'He's in heaven with his daddy and he's in your heart and my heart.' I proceeded to list family and friends who Jesus was with that Hannah knew of.
This conversation with my two year old daugther forced me to slow down. The simplest questions are often the most profound. My heart has been heavy as I've reflected upon the ongoing violence in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Where is Jesus in the midst of this suffering? There is no simple answer. I believe that Jesus is suffering with those who are suffering; he is both enraged and mourning the violence.
More close to home...Oakland is a city that is ridden with violence. Where is Jesus? He is present, even in the midst of great pain and suffering...he is with the poor, the oppressed, the marginalized; he loves them with an unfathomable love...this I believe. More to come. ~R
No comments:
Post a Comment