
I have not really been on the bike for the past two months; I've been focusing on my running because I will be running the SF half
marathon at the end of July. If one wants to run a long way, one needs to prepare beforehand by running many miles; likewise with riding the bike. I made the false assumption that because I've been running, the riding wouldn't be a problem. Verdict: crazy.
I'm a real cyclist! On Friday night before the long ride...I shaved my harry legs. Why...you ask? I've seen lots of cyclists with shaved legs and always assumed that it was a fashion statement; a ploy to be more aerodynamic or something...I wouldn't consider it...but then I asked my cyclist friend Nate why he shaved his legs. He told me that he never shaved his legs until he crashed his bike. As his flesh was skipping along the paved road the hair on his legs would bunch up into balls and then RIP...chunks of flesh flew off of his body via his hairy legs.
I decided that since I was going on a really long ride...I'd better shave my legs. Most cyclists say that it's not a matter of 'if' but 'when' you crash...The 70 mile ride gave me incentive to get out the razor and shaving cream...which for the past 10 years I've only used on my face... and apply it to my legs...I like the smooth feeling. Verdict: Courageous.

I arrived at the starting point for the ride at 7:30am on Saturday...had full access to
sunscreen...only put it on my face, neck, and ears...8 hours later...my legs and arms were rosy red and tender...well done I'd say. Verdict: Crazy.
I rode with three friends. They hung with me when my legs were on fire as I climbed the infamous 'three bears' in the East Bay during miles 30-40. They invited me to bow out if I needed too, but I held strong and was able to finish the ride. The fastest I went during the ride: 45mph...the slowest: 5mph. Verdict: Courageous.
I'm not going to go on anymore long rides like that again until I'm more prepared; I'm going to focus on the half marathon training for now!
I'm proud that I was able to finish a 70 mile bike ride...the next long ride will definitely have to be a century!
Chao for now. ~R
No comments:
Post a Comment